Research Support Center
Gvantsa Jichoshvili – Head of the Research Support Center
The Research Support Center:
- assists university academic staff and students in finding research grant programs and preparing research projects;
- assists university academic staff and students to participate in local and international conferences and various scientific research events;
- invites researchers and professors from abroad and arranges seminars and open lectures at the European University;
- collaborates with various public organizations, government agencies, international and local organizations;
- cooperates with foreign educational and scientific research institutions;
- provides support for academic integrity, detection, response and prevention of academic ethics violations;
- engages in other educational, consulting and scientific-research activities that do not contradict the legislation of Georgia.
At the end of the 2019-2020 academic year, the Research Support Center conducted an assessment of the scientific-research potential of the members of academic staff and guest lecturers, based on the results of which their research interests were revealed. Based on the stated interests and disciplines, a database of research grant programs and individual research grants has been created; information about the grant programs is systematically provided to the academic staff and guest lecturers.
In the 2019-2020 academic year, the following projects on behalf of the European University were submitted to the Fundamental Research program funded by the Shota Rustaveli Georgian National Science Foundation:
- Gin and Tail indices and modeling of the economic structure of the Georgian population through Pareto and lognormal distributions (registration code: FR-19-16766)
- Decriminalization of drug crime in Georgia, comparative analysis and case law (registration code FR-19-029).
In the 2019-2020 academic year, the following project was submitted to the Grant Program for Young Scientists:
- International Law on the Principle of Prohibition of the Use or Use of Threats: Theory and Practice on the Example of Georgia” (Registration Code YS-19-502)
On April 19, 2019, the Research Support Center was opened at the European University.
On April 19, 2019, a memorandum was signed between the European University and Ivane Beritashvili Experimental Biomedicine Center. The parties agreed to cooperate in the field of biomedicine and conduct joint research in these areas.
The European University has introduced a document entitled “Procedures and Mechanisms for Detecting, Preventing, and Responding to Plagiarism” aimed at promoting internal responsibility for the effective conduct of scientific and academic activities at the University, establishing high academic standards and establishing standards of conduct. The Research Support Center organized a Plagiarism Week and student competition.
On May 3, 2019,Zviad Gabisonia, Director General of the Shota Rustaveli Georgian National Science Foundation, visited the European University. The purpose of the visit was to get acquainted with the current situation, challenges and future prospects in the field of science as part of the education and science reform.
The Director General presented the planned changes in the field of science to the audience, talked about the new important international projects, initiatives and plans to be implemented this year by the Rustaveli Foundation. The audience was informed about the 2019 competition for state science grants for applied research.
As a result of cooperation with the Shota Rustaveli Georgian National Science Foundation, the European University was given the opportunity to gain access to following Elsevier databases:
- Science Direct
- Scival Funding (Institutional Funding)
On May 23, 2019, Professor Tsisana Giorgadze and Lolita Shengelia, Head of the Research Support Center, held a master class in English for students participating in the conference of the Faculty of Medicine on “How to prepare a scientific paper.” https://eu.edu.ge/ge/news/1100-evropis-universitetis-samartlis-humanitarul-da-sotsialuri-metsnierebebis-pakultetis
On May 28, 2019, Professor Tatuli Dilidze conducted a master class on the same topic for students of the Faculty of Law, Humanities and Social Sciences of the European University in Georgian. https://eu.edu.ge/ge/news/1095-master-class-registered-students-how-prepare-research-paper-was-conducted-may-23-it-was
On June 1, 2019, Faculty of Law, Humanities and Social Sciences at the European University https://eu.edu.ge/ge/news/1113-samartlis-humanitarul-da-sotsialur-metsnierebata-pakultetis-qovelcliuri-studenturi's and the Faculty of Business and Technology held the 5th Annual Student Scientific Conference. https://eu.edu.ge/ge/news/1116-evropis-universitetshi-biznesisa-da-teknolog
On June 3, 2019, the 6th Annual Student Scientific Conference of the Faculty of Medicine was held at the European University: https://eu.edu.ge/ge/news/1117-evropis-universitetshi-meditsinis-pakultetis-qovelcliuri-me-6-studenturi-sametsniero
On June 15, 2019, the European University held its 5th International Student Scientific Conference at the Bazaleti Hotel Complex. Undergraduate and graduate students from local and international universities could participate in the conference.
On June 21, 2019, the Faculty of Medicine announced a competition for one-year research grant projects for the affiliate academic staff of the Faculty of Medicine.
On June 28, 2019, a call for a position of an Editor-in-Chief and three Editors for the scholarly journal “Medical Student” was announced and a commission was established by the order of the Rector. https://eu.edu.ge/ge/news/1164-contest-positions-editors-journal-medical-student
The results of the first qualifying stage were announced. The following students passed to the second qualifying stage:
- Sarabu Venkata Naga Meghana
- Nikhil Kumar
- Syed Yaseen Ahmed
- Sanjay Kumar Pandey